Restoring Your Health With The Keto Diet.
With the Ketogenic diet, you can restore your health to optimum levels. Instead of getting your energy from sugars and carbs, your body will use ketones instead which significantly improves mental clarity and clears up your skin and overall health and energy. Ketones are a very efficient energy source for the body. This metabolic state is also called ketosis.
The other great thing about the keto diet is that it is very satisfying and you don’t get the slump after a big meal (which is caused by high insulin spikes from all the carbohydrates.)
The ketogenic diet is also known to improve diabetes, epilepsy, and Alzheimer’s disease.
What is the keto diet?
The ketogenic also known as the keto diet is a low carb and high-fat diet with moderate protein, and a lot of non-starchy vegetables. It has great benefits for weight loss, health, energy, and overall well-being. It can even reverse insulin resistance and other inflammatory diseases.
With the keto diet, your body uses fat for fuel instead of carbs which is called ketones which is long-lasting efficient fuel for your body instead of glucose which is only a short-term fuel.
On the keto diet, the reduction in carb intake puts your body in a metabolic state called ketosis, where fat, from your diet and your own body, is burned for energy which improves your overall health and mental clarity.
Things to Watch for When You are on KETO.
People who are on KETO tend to lose a lot of sodium and electrolytes, which can trigger headaches, if you suffer from a headache I’d recommend you to drink a glass of water with 1 tbsp of raw Apple Cider vinegar with a pinch of sea salt / pink Himalayan salt, this might taste like pickles but the effect will be that your headache will be gone almost instantly without taking pain medication.
What you should eat or drink on a keto diet.
High fats; for example, Coconut Oil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Organic grass-fed butter, these fats are high in omega 3 fatty acids and reduce inflammation to the body.
Meats; for example, beef, chicken, turkey or chicken, even bacon, but watch for added sugars and check the number of carbs. Keep the added sugars to 0. Another great source of Protein is eggs, it has many health benefits.
Also, cheese has a great source of protein If you can, keep it all as organic/grass-fed and least processed as possible. Another great protein source is Greek Yoghurt, make sure it is plain full-fat, and no added sugars.
Vegetables; everything except starchy and GMO vegetables, for example, Corn, Soy, Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, Leek, green peas, Beans, Parsnips, even try to limit carrots too.
Drinks: One cup of coffee is fine for example a bullet-proof coffee. Too much coffee can deplete you of nutrients. Heavy coffee consumption can cause a deficiency in B vitamins, and specifically B1, thiamine. This can make you feel fatigued, nervous, and achy. Caffeine also causes the body to discrete other key nutrients like calcium, magnesium, potassium, and iron.
Tea is excellent which is loaded with antioxidants.
Water with a splash for Raw and unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar has shown improvements with people with diabetes.
Foods You Should Avoid On The Ketogenic Diet
- sugary foods: soda, fruit juice, smoothies, cake, ice cream, candy, etc.
- grains or starches: wheat-based products, rice, pasta, cereal, etc.
- fruit: all fruit, except small portions of berries like blueberries.
- beans or legumes: peas, kidney beans, lentils, chickpeas, etc.
- root vegetables and tubers: potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, parsnips, etc.
- low fat or diet products: low-fat mayonnaise, salad dressings, and condiments
- some condiments or sauces: barbecue sauce, honey mustard, teriyaki sauce, ketchup, etc.
- unhealthy fats: processed vegetable oils, mayonnaise, etc. soybean oil, corn oils, trans fats
- alcohol: beer, wine, liquor, mixed drinks
- sugar-free diet foods: sugar-free candies, syrups, puddings, sweeteners, desserts, etc. for example diet sodas.
How to start the keto diet.
When you start this diet it is best to get into full ketosis the first time. To get into this state it can take from 7 to 14 days on average. You can check this by using the ketosis test strip.
After the first 14 days, you can slowly cycle through it and include some other foods, for example, Quinoa. And for 14 days and do another 2 weeks full ketosis. For example;
- The standard ketogenic diet (SKD): This is a very low carb about 5%, moderate protein, and high-fat diet. It typically contains 70% fat, 20% protein, and only 5-10% carbs.
- The cyclical ketogenic diet (CKD): This diet involves periods of higher-carb refeeds, such as 5 ketogenic days followed by 2 high carb days.
- Intermitted Fasting: 16:8: 16-hour fast and 8-hour food intake, this will help improve your blood sugar levels/insulin levels.
More Health Benefits from The Ketogenic Diet Includes;
The Ketogenic Diet is also known to benefit other diseases.
- Heart disease. The ketogenic diet is known to improve risk factors like body fat, HDL (good) cholesterol levels, blood pressure, and blood sugar.
- Cancer. The diet is known to help slow tumor growth.
- Alzheimer’s. The keto diet has been shown to reduce symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease and slow its progression.
- Epilepsy. The keto diet has shown a decrease in seizures in epileptic children.
- Parkinson’s. A study has found that ketogenic helps improve symptoms of Parkinson’s disease.
- Polycystic ovary syndrome. The ketogenic diet is known to reduce insulin levels, which plays a key role in polycystic ovary syndrome.
- Brain injuries. Research shows that the ketogenic diet improves the outcomes of traumatic brain injuries.