We always wanted a healthy and delicious meal plan because my wife has type 2 diabetes and my 7-year-old a picky eater. I always thought eating healthy is expensive. It’s the contrary, it is cheaper. Then I found a book by Jamie Oliver 5 Ingredients: Quick & Easy Food. Me and my wife was watching his show 5 ingredients quick and easy on Create TV. And we thought those easy recipes were simply amazing and mouth-watering. How they came out, they were one-pot meals so you don’t have to clean a lot of dishes after a day of work.
Creating a healthy and delicious meal plan:
I scanned through his book yesterday getting 6 recipes, I chose 2 chicken, 1 vegan, and 2 pork, and 1 fish recipes. And the best thing is, these ingredients are easy to find, they are not obscure and have to travel all over just to get the right ingredients. Also, 90% are 1 pot meals and hands-on time around 15 minutes
My goal is to create a healthy and delicious meal plan that my 7-year-old picky eater likes. And I think Jamie Oliver proofs that it doesn’t have to be expensive to eat healthy and delicious and quick meals even picky eaters love.
This book is so comprehensive, it has multiple categories, chicken, beef, lamb, veg, desserts, and much more. My wife and 7-year-old daughter loves everything I have cooked from it. His website has also a nice selection of easy recipes from this book if you want to look at some. This recipe book is worth every penny.
This first recipe is the whole chicken is truly delicious.
Harissa Chicken Traybake
- 4 mixed color peppers
- 2 red onions
- 1 whole chicken
- 4 tsp rose harissa
- 4 sprigs of fresh mint
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- De-seed the bell peppers and tear into big chunks, peel and quarter the onions and break apart into petals, then place it all in a 30cm x 40cm roasting tray.
- Use a large sharp knife to carefully cut down the back of the chicken, so you can open it out flat, then score the legs. Add to the tray with the harissa, and a little sea salt, black pepper and red wine vinegar. Toss well, making sure you get into all the nooks and crannies of the chicken.
- Sit the chicken flat on top of the veg, skin side up, and roast it all for 50 minutes, or until gnarly and cooked through. Pick over the mint leaves before dishing up.
Total price of this recipe is $14.86
The 2nd recipe is one of my favorites, this one is so easy and quick, and also delicious with the Asian bold flavors popping out with the touch of heat from the Jalapenos.
Sticky Hoisin Chicken
- 2 Chicken legs
- 8 Scallions
- 1-2 mixed color chillies
- 2 heaping tablespoons Hoisin sauce
- Preheat a non-stick frying pan on a medium-high heat. Pull off the chicken skin, place both skin and legs into the pan, season with salt and black pepper and let the fat render out and the chicken get golden for 15 minutes, turning regularly.
- While browsing, trim the spring onions and halve across the middle, putting the white halves aside. De seed the chillies, then finely slice length ways with the green spring onions and pop both into a bowl of ice-cold water to curl and crisp up. Peel the oranges, finely slice into rounds, and arrange on your plates.
- Remove the crispy skin, then toss the white spring onions into the pan. In a bowl, loosen the hoisin with a splash of red wine/apple cider vinegar, then brush half of it all over the chicken. Cook for a final 5 minutes. Drain and divide up the crunchy salad, sit the chicken and soft spring onions on top, drizzle the remaining hoisin over the chicken and crack over the crispy skin.
Total price of this recipe is $13.41
This Sticky Mango Shrimp from Jamie Oliver create the most of bold flavors of mango chutney and king prawns to create a simple but flavorful healthy stir-fry, with a healthy salad this. Give this one a shot you won’t be disappointed.
Sticky Mango Shrimp
- 10 oz Large Shrimp
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 2 tbsp mango chutney
- 1 lime
- Pull the legs and tails off the prawns and peel off the shells, leaving the heads on for bonus flavor.
- Run the tip of your knife down their backs and pull out the vein. Put a large non-stick frying pan on a medium heat.
- Peel and very finely slice the garlic, fry with 1 tablespoon of olive oil until crisp, then scoop out and put aside, leaving the garlicky oil behind.
- Stir the curry powder into the oil, then add the prawns. Fry for 4 minutes, or until the prawns are cooked through, tossing regularly.
- Stir in the mango chutney for 30 seconds, taste, season to perfection with sea salt and black pepper, then dish up.
- Scatter over the crispy garlic, finely grate over half the lime zest and serve with lime wedges, for squeezing over.
The total price of this recipe is $14.38
This next sweet potato recipe is a Veg easy and delicious with the New Orleans bold flavors
Cajun Sweet Potatoes
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 1 bulb garlic
- 1 heaping tsp Cajun Spice
- ¾ cup Greek yoghurt
- 4 Scallions
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Quickly scrub the sweet potatoes clean and slice into 1¼-inch rounds. Place the sweet potatoes in 12- x 10-inch roasting pan with the whole unpeeled garlic bulb and toss with 1 tablespoon each of olive oil and red wine vinegar, a pinch of salt and black pepper, and Cajun spice. Arrange in a flat layer and roast for 1 hour, or until soft, gnarly, and caramelized.
- Squeeze all the soft, sweet, creamy, mild, roasted garlic out of the skins into the yoghurt, mash together, them taste and season to perfection. Trim and finely slice the scallions. Spoon the yoghurt across a plate or platter, stack the sweet pototato on top, drizzle with ½ a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil, sprikle over scallions. serve
The total price of this recipe is $8.29
This Sausage Apple Bake is so juicy savory and delicious, easy, and is extremely filling even my 7 year old loves it, I have never thought the apples are such a good match with the sausage.
Sausage & Apple Bake
- 2 Red Onions
- 2 Apples
- 4 Parsnips
- 12 Small Pork sausages
- 1 tbsp liquid honey
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place a non-stick ovenproof frying pan on a medium high heat. Peel the onions, cut into quarters, and quickly break apart into petals directly into the pan, tossing regularly, then add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and a pinch of salt and black pepper.Quarter and core the apples, then toss into the pan. Use a vegetable peeler to peel the parsnips into long strips. Stir 1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar into the frying pan, then pile the parsnips on top of the apples and onions.
- Lay the sausages on top, then drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and add a pinch of black pepper from a height. Bake 30 minutes, then drizzle over the honey and return to the oven for 5 minutes, or until golden and delicious.
The total price of this recipe is $12.92
The Pork stir-fry together with the sweetness of the baby carrots, another spot on a match that you should try.
Sticky Pork Stir Fry
- 14 oz Pork Shoulder
- 14 oz baby carrots
- 8 scallions
- 2 tbsp teriyaki sauce
- 2 tbsp liquid honey
- Put a largo shallow casserole pan on high heat.
- Chop up pork into 1¼-inch chunks and place in the pan with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and a pinch of salt and black pepper.
- Trim and add the whole baby carrots (halving any large ones), then cook for 12 minutes, or until everything is golden, tossing regularly.
- Trim and slice scallions.
- Add a splash of water to the pan to deglaze it, then stir in the scallions teriyaki sauce, and honey. Cook for another 3 minutes, tossing regularly until it's all shiny and sticky, hen taste, season to perfection, and serve.
The total price of this recipe is $18.30
These recipes are so easy and delicious, and affordable. Most of them are also 1 pot dish. With incredible flavor.
The total price of this meal plan is on average $85 – $100 depending on the quality of each ingredient and store. I really recommend getting a high-quality whole chicken. Walmart’s chickens tend to be frozen and the meat can be tough, which destroys the whole recipe.
We really hope you love this healthy and delicious meal plan as much as we do.
My 7-year-old loves the meals and she is really a very picky eater. We try to stretch our dollar as far as we can, while at the same time we try to live a healthy lifestyle. We thank God daily for all the blessings He has been giving us, and this is one of them.